DatasetAdded By mrflip
Ten years ago, a teacher in the Bronx launched DonorsChoose.org. Since then, more than 165,000 teachers at 43,000 public schools have posted over 300,000 classroom project requests, inspiring $80,000,000 in giving from 400,000 donors who performed over a million search queries and made more than a million donations.
We’ve opened up that data, and invite you to make discoveries and build apps that improve education in America. Help to shape your school system’s budget by revealing what teachers really need. Build the first mobile app for hyper-local education philanthropy. We’ve got a list of suggestions to help get you thinking.
Its data is very fresh and tightly integrated into our front-end website, eg. you can enable end-users to browse classroom projects and click-through to our production front-end to donate.
To access every classroom project and donation since the org’s inception in 2000 and our last 18 months of site searches, you’ll want our open data sets below.
They include lots of data that’s not available via the API, such as every project donation and gift card purchase, as well as all the materials/resources requested by each teacher for each project. As this data has been sanitized for the privacy of our end-users, it’s a bit harder to integrate with our production front-end than the JSON API.
You’re also encouraged to use any additional 3rd party data you can get your hands on! We have assembled an informal list of potentially complementary data sets.
Do join our discussion group for Developers and Data Crunchers, even if you’re not yet certain you’re going to submit an app or analysis into the contest. We’ll be using it to answer any questions, communicate with participants, etc.
If you have any questions, you can review our API FAQ, search or ask the discussion group, or get in touch with us directly. Our preference is to answer questions in the discussion group in order to benefit other folks who might have similar question.
Thanks in advance for participating…our contest judges and our entire org look forward to seeing the apps and analyses you create!
— The DonorsChoose.org Team
- All classroom projects that have been posted to the site, including lots of school info such as its NCES ID (government-issued), lat/long, and city/state/zip. Data file: ~40MB zip, ~135MB CSV, ~300K records
- All donations, including donor city, state, and partial-zip (when available). Data file: ~85MB zip, ~260MB CSV, ~1.1M records
- All website-purchased gift cards, including donor and recipient city, state, and partial-zip (when available). Data file: ~3MB zip, ~8MB CSV, ~43K records
- All materials/resources requested for the classroom projects, including vendor name. Data file: ~95MB zip, ~275MB CSV, ~1.6M records
- Full text of the teacher-written requests accompanying all classroom projects. Data file: ~200MB zip, ~1GB CSV, ~300K records
- Search queries spanning 12 months, including both keyword searches and any search filters applied.
- Jan – June 2010 ~6MB zip, ~42MB CSV, 531K records, ~2.3M searches
- July – Sep 2010 ~5MB zip, ~36MB CSV, 448K records, ~1.7M searches
- Oct – Dec 2010 ~8MB zip, ~56MB CSV, 665K records, ~2.8M searches
We have also published some scripts to help you load the data into your db of choice and into partially normalized tables more suitable for exploration with SQL.
This work by DonorsChoose.org is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License (CC BY-NC 3.0).
If you’d like to use this data for commercial purposes, get in touch with us and tell us a bit about your plans. Our strong preference is to greenlight your commercial application with no licensing fees, and we have never charged for access to our API or data. We just need to make sure that the application won’t run contrary to our org’s mission, abuse the rich content that our teachers have created, etc.