DatasetAdded By Infochimps
The Statistical Abstract files are distributed by the US Census Department as Microsoft Excel files. These files have data mixed with notes and references, multiple tables per sheet, and, worst of all, the table headers are not easily matched to their rows and columns.
A few files had extraneous characters in the title. These were corrected to be consistent. A few files have a sheet of crufty gibberish in the first slot. The sheet order was shuffled but no data were changed.
The tables that were changed (this is table 330):
0166 0257 0362 0429 0445 0446 0459 0461 0462 0464 0465 0466 0467 0469 0479 0480 0481 0482 0483 0484 0485 0486 0487 0559 0628 0629 1144 1227 1231
This dataset consists of a table of 27 rows and 12 columns.
Persons suspected of violating Federal law may be arrested by any one of the many Federal agencies empowered to make arrests, or by state or local authorities. Regardless of which agency makes the arrest, Federal suspects are typically transferred to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service for booking, processing and detention. See Methodology for a listing of detailed offense categories within each major offense category
- Starting in 1999 nonviolent sex offenses were reclassified from “Violent offenses”
to “Public-order offenses.”
- Data for 1998 through 2002 are not directly comparable to 2003 and 2004
because of changes in the data processing methodology. See note 2 on page 24, chapter 1 of
the 2004 Compendium of Federal Justice Statistics
- Includes suspects whose offense category could not be determined.
- In this table “Violent offenses” may include nonnegligent manslaughter.
- Fradulent property excludes tax fraud.
- Excludes fraudulent property and includes destruction of property and trespassing.
- Beginning in 2001 “Weapon” and “Immigration” offenses became major offense categories.
Previously, theses offenses were classified within “Public-order offenses.”
Public Domain (Government Work)
This dataset was prepared by the government and is therefore in the public domain. There are no restrictions upon its use.