DatasetAdded By Infochimps
The Statistical Abstract files are distributed by the US Census Department as Microsoft Excel files. These files have data mixed with notes and references, multiple tables per sheet, and, worst of all, the table headers are not easily matched to their rows and columns.
A few files had extraneous characters in the title. These were corrected to be consistent. A few files have a sheet of crufty gibberish in the first slot. The sheet order was shuffled but no data were changed.
The tables that were changed (this is table 1028):
0166 0257 0362 0429 0445 0446 0459 0461 0462 0464 0465 0466 0467 0469 0479 0480 0481 0482 0483 0484 0485 0486 0487 0559 0628 0629 1144 1227 1231
This dataset consists of a table of 20 rows and 24 columns.
133.6 represents 133,600. Beginning 2000 data based on North American Industry Classification System (NAICS), 2002. All other years based on Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes. See text, Section 15
- Includes nonfood items.
- A grocery store, primarily self-service in operation, providing
a full range of departments, and having at least $2.5 million in
annual sales in 1985 dollars.
- Contains greater variety of products than conventional
supermarkets, including specialty and service departments, and
considerable nonfood (general merchandise) products.
- Contains limited product variety and fewer services provided,
incorporating case lot stocking and shelving practices.
- Contains a pharmacy, a nonprescription drug department, and a
greater variety of health and beauty aids than that carried by
- A larger warehouse store that offers expanded product variety
and often service meat, deli, or seafood departments.
- A very large store offering a greater variety of general
merchandise—like clothes, hardware, and seasonal goods—and
personal care products than other grocery stores.
- A small grocery store selling a limited variety of food and
nonfood products, typically open extended hours.
- A grocery store, primarily self-service in operation, selling a
wide variety of food and nonfood products with annual sales below
$2.5 million (1985 dollars).
- Primarily engaged in the retail sale of a single food category
such as meat and seafood stores and retail bakeries.
Public Domain (Government Work)
This dataset was prepared by the government and is therefore in the public domain. There are no restrictions upon its use.