DatasetAdded By Infochimps
The Statistical Abstract files are distributed by the US Census Department as Microsoft Excel files. These files have data mixed with notes and references, multiple tables per sheet, and, worst of all, the table headers are not easily matched to their rows and columns.
A few files had extraneous characters in the title. These were corrected to be consistent. A few files have a sheet of crufty gibberish in the first slot. The sheet order was shuffled but no data were changed.
The tables that were changed (this is table 1352):
0166 0257 0362 0429 0445 0446 0459 0461 0462 0464 0465 0466 0467 0469 0479 0480 0481 0482 0483 0484 0485 0486 0487 0559 0628 0629 1144 1227 1231
This dataset consists of a table of 45 rows and 28 columns.
United States = 100. Compensation costs include pay for time worked, other direct pay (including holiday and vacation pay, bonuses, other direct payments, and the cost of pay in kind), employer expenditures for legally required insurance programs and contractual and private benefit plans, and for some countries, other labor taxes. Data adjusted for exchange rates. Area averages are trade-weighted to account for difference in countries’ relative importance to U.S. trade in manufactured goods. The trade weights used to compute the average compensation cost measures for selected economic groups are based on the relative dollar value of U.S. trade in manufactured commodities (exports plus imports) with each country or area in 2004; see source for detail
- For 1980-1993, the trade-weighted measure includes all 32 foreign economies except for Brazil, the
Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland. For 1994, it includes all but Brazil, the Czech Republic, and
Poland. For 1995, it includes all but Brazil and Poland. For 1996, it includes all but Poland. For 1997
onward, the measure includes all 32 economies.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development; see text of this section.
- Data for the Czech Republic 1980-1994, for Hungary 1980-1993, and for Poland 1980-1996 are not included.
- European Union-15 refers to European Union member countries prior to the expansion of the European Union to 25 countries on May 1, 2004, and to 27 countries on January 1, 2007.
For a list of EU-15 countries, see Table 1320.
- Hong Kong, South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China.
- With the establishment of diplomatic relations with China on January 1, 1979, the U.S. government
recognized the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal government of China and acknowledged
the Chinese position that there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of China.
Public Domain (Government Work)
This dataset was prepared by the government and is therefore in the public domain. There are no restrictions upon its use.