DatasetAdded By Infochimps
The Statistical Abstract files are distributed by the US Census Department as Microsoft Excel files. These files have data mixed with notes and references, multiple tables per sheet, and, worst of all, the table headers are not easily matched to their rows and columns.
A few files had extraneous characters in the title. These were corrected to be consistent. A few files have a sheet of crufty gibberish in the first slot. The sheet order was shuffled but no data were changed.
The tables that were changed (this is table 523):
0166 0257 0362 0429 0445 0446 0459 0461 0462 0464 0465 0466 0467 0469 0479 0480 0481 0482 0483 0484 0485 0486 0487 0559 0628 0629 1144 1227 1231
This dataset consists of a table of 35 rows and 50 columns.
In millions of dollars (21,982 represents $21,982,000,000) For methodology on how personal income and transfer payments are derived, see http://www.bea.doc.gov/bea/ARTICLES/REGIONAL/PERSINC/Meth/spi2997.pdf
- Consists largely of temporary disability payments, pension benefit guaranty payments, and black lung payments.
- Consists of medicaid and other medical vendor payments.
- Consists of payments made under the TriCare Management Program (formerly called
CHAMPUS) for the medical care of dependents of active duty military personnel and of retired
military personnel and their dependents at nonmilitary medical facilities.
- Through 1995, consists of emergency assistance and aid to families with dependent children.
Beginning with 1998, consists of benefits—generally known as temporary assistance for needy
families—provided under the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act
of 1996. For 1996-97, consists of payments under all three of these programs.
- Consists largely of general assistance, expenditures for food under the supplemental program for women,
infants, and children; refugee assistance; foster home care and adoption
assistance; earned income tax credits; and energy assistance.
- Consists of trade readjustment allowance payments, Redwood Park benefit payments, public
service employment benefit payments, and transitional benefit payments.
- Consists largely of veterans’ readjustment benefit payments, educational assistance to spouses
and children of disabled or deceased veterans, payments to paraplegics, and payments for autos
and conveyances for disabled veterans.
- Consists largely of State and local government payments to veterans.
- Excludes veterans. Consists largely of federal fellowship payments (National Science Foundation fellowships and
traineeships, subsistence payments to state maritime academy cadets, and other federal
fellowships), interest subsidy on higher education loans, basic educational opportunity grants,
and Job Corps payments.
- Consists largely of Bureau of Indian Affairs payments, education exchange payments, Alaska
Permanent Fund dividend payments, compensation of survivors of public safety officers,
compensation of victims of crime, disaster relief payments, compensation for Japanese
internment, and other special payments to individuals.
Public Domain (Government Work)
This dataset was prepared by the government and is therefore in the public domain. There are no restrictions upon its use.