DatasetAdded By Infochimps
The Statistical Abstract files are distributed by the US Census Department as Microsoft Excel files. These files have data mixed with notes and references, multiple tables per sheet, and, worst of all, the table headers are not easily matched to their rows and columns.
A few files had extraneous characters in the title. These were corrected to be consistent. A few files have a sheet of crufty gibberish in the first slot. The sheet order was shuffled but no data were changed.
The tables that were changed (this is table 909):
0166 0257 0362 0429 0445 0446 0459 0461 0462 0464 0465 0466 0467 0469 0479 0480 0481 0482 0483 0484 0485 0486 0487 0559 0628 0629 1144 1227 1231
This dataset consists of a table of 45 rows and 18 columns.
Data are for fuels consumed to produce electricity. Also includes fuels consumed to produce useful thermal output at a small number of electric utility combined-heat-and-power (CHP) plants
- Electricity-only plants within the NAICS 22 category whose primary business is to sell
electricity to the public. Data also include a small number of electric utility
combined-heat-and-power plants (CHP).
- Combined-heat-and-power plants within the NAICS 22 category whose primary business is to sell
electricity and heat to the public. Data do not include electric utility CHP plants – these are included under
- Commercial combined-heat-and-power (CHP) and commercial electricity-only plants.
- Industrial combined-heat-and-power (HCP) and industrial electricity-only plants. Through 1988,
data are for industrial hydroelectric power only.
- Anthracite, bituminous coal, subbituminous coal, lignite, waste coal, and coal synfuel.
- Distillate fuel oil, residual fuel oil, petroleum coke, jet fuel, kerosene, other petroleum, and waste oil.
- Includes a small amount of supplemental gaseous fuels that cannot be identified separately.
- Blast furnace gas, propane gas, and other manufactured and waste gases derived from fossil fuels.
- Pumped storage facility production minus energy used for pumping.
- Wood, black liquor, and other wood waste.
- Municipal solid waste, landfill gas, sludge waste, tires, agricultural byproducts, and other biomass.
- Solar thermal and photovoltaic energy.
- Batteries, chemicals, hydrogen, pitch, purchased steam, sulfur, and miscellaneous technologies.
- Fuel oil numbers 1, 2, and 4. Prior to 2001, electric utility data also include small amounts
of kerosene and jet fuel.
- Fuel oil numbers 5 and 6. Prior to 2001, electric utility data also include a small amount of
fuel oil number 4.
- Jet fuel, kerosene, other petroleum liquids, and waste oil.
Public Domain (Government Work)
This dataset was prepared by the government and is therefore in the public domain. There are no restrictions upon its use.